Pain Management?

January 23, 2013

As I've mentioned before, I have fibromyalgia and ruptured disc as well as a couple of other conditions that cause me to be in constant pain. I've never been a person who likes to take a lot of pain medications...I just hate the way they make me feel. But there are times when I have no choice, the pain just gets to be too much.

There are a couple of reasons that I hate taking pain meds. I hate the way they make me feel. I itch all over, I hate feeling "loopy". I know too many people who are addicted to RX's drugs.

I've always hated going to "pain management." A couple of days ago the hubby and I were talking about it and he asked me why it bothered me so much. It just feels so degrading to me. First of all, I have to take a urine test every time I go, like I'm some kind of junkie or something. I mean, I do understand...there are A LOT of "legal drug addicts" out there. People who "doctor shop." Not to mention, usually sitting in the waiting room of a pain management doctors office is like sitting in a probation officers office...it looks like a room full of crack heads.

I had my first appointment with my pain management doctor here yesterday. I walked into the office and there were so many people in there that there were people standing out in the hall, they didn't have enough chairs for everyone. I never saw my dr's office in NC that full.

When I was finally called to the back to see the dr I was ready to meet my dr and get our "plan" for my treatment in order. Yeah...there was no plan for treatment. He basically asked me what kind of pain meds I'd been on before (what worked for me), wrote the RX's for me, told me that he wants to do some injections in my neck (to be scheduled at a later date) and sent me on my way.

I could have told this dr any kind of pill that I wanted and he would have given it to me. It almost made me ill. I've heard the term "pill mill" before but I'd never experienced it until yesterday.

And they wonder why there are so many people who are addicted to RX pain meds. I mean really? No talk of physical therapy, no talk of exercise, no talk of anything except eating a bunch of pills. Am I crazy or does this seem wrong to y'all??

I'm glad I hate these pills and only take them when I'm desperate for relief. Cause I've lost too many people (in one way or another) due to drugs. I don't want to turn into one of them and from the looks of it, with this new doctor I easily could. (smdh)

1 comments:

Gen said...

oh come on! i mean really...what sort of "doctor" does that?!? is there any other pain management place you could go to?

Post a Comment

I love hearing from all of you so don't be shy.